Health Care Fact Sheet
EACH PARENT IS OBLIGATED TO COMPLY WITH THE COURT ORDER.
Each parent must provide the other Parent with:
- A current insurance card (copy of card must be sent to the FOC).
- Copies of insurance information and forms necessary to submit claims.
- Copies of all insurance company explanation of benefits.
- Notice of all amounts not covered by insurance and each party’s responsibility per the percentages in your order.
- Payment to party requesting reimbursement.
IF UNABLE TO WORK OUT MEDICAL BILL PROBLEMS:
- All Health Care (Medical) reimbursement requests must be submitted on a Friend of the Court Request for Health-Care Expense Payment form after all attempts for insurance coverage have been exhausted.
- A person seeking reimbursement must first demand payment, in writing, from the other parent within 28 days after payment or denial of insurance coverage. The proper forms must be used as directed in the Request for Health-Care Expense Payment. Once a request is received, and processed by the Friend of the Court, the other party has 21 days to object. If an objection is received at the FOC in writing, a hearing will be held. If no objection is filed, the amount is added to the medical arrears account.
- Medical bills over one (1) year old will not be processed.
- Payments of all medical processed must be made through the Friend of the Court office.
- “HEALTH CARE” means the products or services provided or prescribed by a person or organization licensed or legally authorized to provide or prescribe human health care products or services, including, but not limited to, the following professionals; Chiropractors, Dentists, Oral Surgeons, Orthodontists, Prosthedontists, Periodontists, Endodontics, Pedodontists, Dental Hygienists, Dental Assistants, Medical Doctors, Physician’s Assistants, Registered Professional Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, Nurse Midwives, Nurses Anesthetists, Nurse Practitioners, Trained Attendants, Optometrists, Osteopaths, Pharmacists, Physical Therapists, Physiotherapists, Physical Therapy Technicians, Chiropodists, Podiatrists, Foot Specialists, Psychologists, Psychological Assistants, Psychological Examiners, Clinical Social Workers and providers of Prosthetic Devices. It also includes the following health facilities or agencies (even when located in a correctional institution or a university, college, or other educational institution); ambulances, advanced mobile emergency care services, clinical laboratories, county medical care facilities, freestanding surgical outpatient facilities, health maintenance organization, homes for aged, hospitals, and nursing homes (Michigan Child Support Formula, Section IV (D))
- Expenses for OVER-THE-COUNTER MEDICATION and HEALTH INSURANCE PREMIUMS are not included in the “HEALTH CARE” definition and cannot be enforces unless specifically ordered.
- If your order requires you to maintain health insurance that is offered through your employment, and it is available to you at no cost or at a reasonable cost, then you must maintain that coverage.
- Any medical bills applied to a person’s insurance deductible and/or co-payment are deemed uninsured and each party will be responsible as directed by the medical support order.
- If you believe that the party has received an insurance payment and failed to forward it to you or to the health care provider, please complete a Demand for Medical Payment form and state your reasons why you believe that this has happened.
- IF YOU ARE THE PARTY REQUESTING ENFORCEMENT, YOU MUST COOPERATE AND IF AT ALL POSSIBLE APPEAR AT ALL HEARINGS REQUIRED BY THE FOC. IF YOU FAIL TO ATTEND, OR MAKE ADEQUATE ARRANGEMENTS, THE MEDICAL MAY NOT BE ENFORCED.